Monday, August 31, 2009

Fighting depression


One of the things I enjoy very much is sitting here early in the morning with a cup of tea and putting my thoughts into words. Sometimes I go for an early jog and ideas pop into my head. Other times, I have no idea what I am going to write about, but I trust the Universe will assist me in finding a key thought to express. This is my diary blog and I write because perhaps one person out there can benefit from reading about my experiences or my counsel.

How many of you out there have had instances when depression or depressive moments came in and took charge of your daily lives? I am writing about this today not because I am depressed, but because a good friend of mine is battling depression as a result of the pressure from his collapsing business. I met with him this past Friday and after having a beer he confided that the pressure is getting to him and seemed overwhelmed by it.

I've been in his shoes before. I've had the entire weight of the world on my shoulders and more. I've gone out for a walk to clear the negative thoughts from my head and felt both knees buckled. What's the solution I ask? Again, it is inside of us and not outside. For many, it is required that we go through these fires to reach the calm waters. There are lessons we must learn because of bad decisions we made at some point and now it's pay-back time. In other instances, it is part of our karma and the heartaches are a cleansing solution that can bring us down from the proverbial high horse - a way to make us see what is really important in life, to put us on the right path, or to grow internally. Or it is simply a fact of life that things are not always going to be perfect and we have to deal with the ups and downs.

I will be blunt in what I am getting ready to say but I believe that a depressive state of mind is a selfish state of mind. Nothing matters more than our problems. We become the center of this universe and this "crisis" is the only thing that is important. Since we become the center of attention, it is normal that we start attracting others with similar views - misery loves company. If we thought the hole was getting deeper, lets go find an industrial size shovel because we are now digging full time. (Quick advise for those of you who are depressed: if you go confide your problems to a friend and afterwards he or she makes you feel worse than when you started, walk away!) Stop digging and take time to think about all the good things that you have in your life. I know it is easier said than done, particularly when one is overwhelmed with all the problems.....stop thinking about yourself and give to others. Go to McDonald's and buy a happy meal and give it to the first dirty, nasty homeless guy you see laying in the middle of the street. Don't say anything to him, just drop it on his lap. Turn around and walk away and I guarantee you will feel better about it and for that one quick second, your depression will not be there.

Create those quick moments in your life and soon the dark clouds will disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment