Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sad Story

N:

"Of the 28 years that I shared with you, I am taking only the best part. I depart with a clean conscience that I gave everything I had to make and keep a home that was envied by many. I am saddened that our home has ended now that we are in the twilight of our lives. Thank you for the children you gave me. They were the fruit of the love that once united us. I am returning your last name, as cleaned as when you gave it to me. I certainly knew how to honor and respect it. I wish that you will soon find the happiness that you deserve and long to. I am praying for it."

Cordially, L.

I found this personal note in a storage unit that I bought during an auction last month. There were four units owned by the same person or in this case "the same family." It contained their personal stuff to include family pictures, papers, and most of their business clothing inventory. When I come across storage units like this one that folks lost due to non-payment, I often wonder what caused someone to lose their precious possessions in most cases - a personal tragedy, divorce, death, or financial ruin? In some, the reasons are clearly obvious. With others, I am left to wonder what triggered the event and never to find out.

I dare not question who was to blame. It is a sad story no matter who was at fault.

What do you do after 28 years? Do you pick up the pieces and start again? What options do you have? Live in a state of constant pity, guilt, doubt, or anger?

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment