Sunday, August 23, 2009

Security


I define security as the absence of risk, change, triumph, and life. For many years, I held a very secured government job with a steady paycheck, solid benefits, and guaranteed retirement after 25 years of service. However, the security was a mirage because my career was being held hostage by my immediate boss. If I acted, criticized, or behaved in a manner that went against the agency's goals and objectives, my career came to a screeching halt. Taking risks meant playing Russian roulette with my career and future. Triumph always came at the expense of compromising my principles. "Congrats JC on your new position even though you probably back stabbed someone to get there or 'brown nosed' your way to the top." Even in instances when the triumph was well deserved, the stigma always remained. This security took away my life in exchange for a paycheck. My dreams were cut short and replaced with a retirement token. The seed of my potential didn't emerge because I chose instead to water the seed of my fear.

What a wasted opportunity to reach for the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment