Sunday, August 23, 2009

Where is the justice?


Let me throw this argument out there.

There is this guy named Fidel Castro who has been in the dictatorship business for the past 50 years, has ordered the killing of thousands of people, has destroyed another thousands of lives and families, and created mayhem throughout Latin American and the world. Some might described his as an "evil" man. He hasn't been much of a religious man. As a matter of fact, the only religion he has followed is a visit to the High Priest of Santeria every January 1st to find out what to expect for the upcoming year.

Suddenly, he develops an illness that slowly starts to consume his body - a cancer of sorts. He has less than 24 hours to live and he discovers that there is a God after all, or at least he would like to confer with Him about his upcoming transfer into the other side. He immediately fires the Santeria priest with all of his chickens, coconuts, and roosters, and summons a catholic priest (Mr. Castro grew up Catholic) who comes into the hospital and before taking his last breath he ask for forgiveness from God - granted!

A few days later, the following scene is played out in heaven:

"You my son," says God, "can now sit here next to me and enjoy the beautiful view of the universe." As a matter of fact, later today you can go to the Starbucks in the corner and enjoy a latte with Mother Teresa, St. Francis of Asis, and everyone else."

"But God," Castro timidly asks, "I feel kind of remorseful for all the people that I killed down there during all those years. My conscious is not letting me sleep at night and the sleeping pills that you recommended from CVS pharmacy are not working. What about all the people that are the VICTIMS of my actions and my own FREE WILL? What about them? How are they to get any kind of justice?"

"Screw them," God replied, "you asked for forgiveness at the last second and that was enough for me." I am not worried about them. They choose to be victims. Although you broke every law in the book, your FREE ticket is given if you simply ask for forgiveness. No questions asked, no repercussions, no payback. Now go on and enjoy your latte my son!"

...is this justice I ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment