Monday, August 24, 2009

Simplify your life


Following along the same lines of my previous post, sometimes we start accumulating things getting to the point where there is no more space in the house, the attic, or the garage. We then have to go out and rent a storage unit to keep all the things we don't really need but we "must have." Imagine paying a monthly fee to put stuff that we don't need or use.

Every week, I go to the local flea market to sell the items I've acquired during storage auctions. I see the same customers every week buying something because it is "cute or neat." The husband asks the wife (or viceversa)- "Where are you going to put this honey? We have enough crap already." He/She replies - "I really don't need it but it's only a dollar, I got to have it." Out they go carrying another trinket to a packed dwelling.

My mother is the best example of what I call a "crap collector." She helps me clean out the storage units after I buy them and invariably takes something trivial to her house every time. I've told her that the day she dies, I am going to have the biggest garage sale in the city........she is not amused, not because I am going to sell it but because somehow she can't take them with her.

I think that we need to simplify our lives. The more we have the less freedom we possess. We become slaves to maintaining those things that we have acquired.....and we can't take any of them with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment